Thursday, March 11, 2010

World of Warcraft, the Arcade game?

Starting with the ability to use any weapon without training or leveling the skilled use of that weapon seems very foreign to me. For the past five years all my toons have had to learn how to swing axes better and shoot arrows better and.... well you get the idea.

So what's the big deal? In Cataclysm there won't be anymore weapon skills that need to be trained or leveled. This may give you a sigh of relief knowing that you will have less training to do and less running (to every city imaginable) to do but for others this may not be a welcome change.

I am on the fence. The convenience is nice but I believe it comes at a price. That price is investment and a little bit of role playing. I don't mean dressing like a furry and throwing a party type of roll playing, rather an element of the RPG side of WoW will be missing.

This change feels very arcade. Yes, old school arcade game. I believe it would feel like my in game character is less involved and invested in what he or she does. The idea that my level one character would know how to use a weapon just as well as my level eight five just feels wrong. Then again, I care more about the story and experience than anything else. This change might make the game more fun and overall more enjoyable.

After cataclysm launches everything will change, and I welcome all of the changes, but my heart is confused over how to feel about changes like these.

What do you think? Is the world of warcraft becoming closer to an arcade game with these changes or will this create new RPG elements instead of less?

-unwin

No comments:

Post a Comment